Thursday 20 June 2013

Omu Rice for dinner

*2*

Hello readers...

I made dinner for the family along with my sister on Monday and we chose to make something that we've never done before. We love love love Japanese cuisine so out of these recipes we decided to make Omu Rice. Omu rice is very different to what I would expect it to be, in terms of what I consider Japanese food to be because I always think of simple light dishes, like sushi, udon noodles and donburi (rice bowls).

Do you know what Omu Rice is? To sum it up, it's chicken with pan fried rice and other ingredients wrapped together in an egg omelette.Then, as a typical and unique decoration, ketchup is squirted on top of the omelet in a sort of wave style...I'm not really too sure how to describe the shape so you can look it up or see my image :D It reminds me of the drawing style in mangas when they make omelets... don't you think?!



Omu rice was something I only recently heard of but I thought I would try it because it didn't seem too complex. It's only the little details that make it harder when you want it to be perfect, like folding the omelette over so it covers all the rice and is folded exactly half way so the parcel is equal :P

                         My file card for Omu Rice is:



Simplicity:

Taste:

Appearance:

Cost:

Healthiness:


I'd say the dish is quite simple to make because all it involves is the cooking of the rice and then pan frying it with the other ingredients before spooning it onto one side of the egg. The reason why I would rate it any higher would be because the egg section is a bit trickier. I poured the egg into the pan but trying to fold one side of the egg over the rice kept making the middle break or not flipping over entirely, so the omelette was effectively 'open'.

I tried different methods, such as pouring the egg out once it was cooked and then placing the rice but I think it is easier to do it in the pan but each person finds different things easier, so choose the method that works for you!

I did like the taste of the omu rice but I'm not sure if I could say that our dish was true to omu rice because we didn't add chicken but I think it would taste even better if it did. the appearance is simple with a cartoon aspect to it ^_^ but I don't look at it and think 'WOW'.

The cost for ours was reasonable because although we did use many ingredients, they weren't that expensive but I placed the cost towards more expensive because if there was meat, the dish would be more costly. Or if you chose other cuts/types of meat.

I rated the healthiness pretty high because you do gain a lot of nutrients out of this, there's protein with the egg, prawns and meat and vegetables with the peas and sweetcorn and of course you can add more variety of ingredients to make it even more healthier. The only parts which isn't as healthy is the oil to cook the egg and the small amount of oil when you place the meats and vegetables into the pan with the rice. The amount of oil really isn't a lot, so I wouldn't take off a lot of points for unhealthiness. I don't think you need too much oil because then the rice will just become oily, for me, the main purpose would be to warm up the rice and make it drier. Oh, and the amount is salt that you're putting in is pretty minimal because of the use of soy sauce. Yep, soy sauce is pretty salty so I guess it counteracts the salt so hmmm....



Omu rice is a very creative dish that doesn't require a long time to make or prepare. Busy schedule? You can always chop up some of the ingredients beforehand and put them on the side and make the rice ahead of time. Then, when you are ready, start by heating the rice, meat and vegetables and then, you can start on the egg. Though the process may be sort of tiring as I did it individually...So get a helper!!!

This recipe serves 5- the amount of things that you put into the rice is down to your personal preference, this is just the amounts that I used

3 cups of rice, cooked and at room temperature. (it's best to have your rice a little drier than it being too soft)

10 cooked prawns
Handful of peas
Handful of sweetcorn
6 crabsticks
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 frankfurters (Heated and browned slightly)
1 thin slice of garlic- less than half a cm thick
2 tbsp soy sauce (you can add l
2 tbsp ketchup

As there are only four of us, we used 8 eggs, two per person but then we had a lot of rice extra so if you want to give everyone 2 eggs for the omelette then you should reserve 10 eggs! I know that is a lot :P

Then, the rest is:

1. Heat a large pan over medium heat, squirt with a tablespoon of oil and allow to heat for around 20 seconds. Then, add in all the ingredients minus the eggs and rice. Stir until everything is nicely distributed.





2. Start adding in the rice a little at a time. You want to make sure that the rice isn't stuck together, so just break it roughly with a wooden spoon.once all the rice has been added in, pour in the soy sauce and the ketchup in, mix until fully incorporated. Once nice and hot, turn the heat off and put to one side.

 3. In a separate pan (make sure the bottom of this is flat, so the omelette is round and an appropriate size), heat the pan until very hot. When it is very hot, add in a teaspoon of oil. Now wait for this to become very hot, it's important that both these steps reach high heat so that the egg won't stick onto the pan. Then add in the egg. There's no need to flip, but once you see that the top is starting to cook, spoon some rice onto one half of the omelette and then lift the other side of the egg on top of the rice.

4. Take out onto a plate-very carefully!!!- then squirt the ketchup in that cartoon style. Serve immediately :)

If you are making it with chicken, cook the chicken until it is done and then add the other ingredients in, so do it before step 1.


Okay, hope you like the recipe and will give it a go! See you guys soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment